Did you know that heavy goods vehicles are responsible for over 6% of total greenhouse gas emissions in Europe? To achieve Europe’s ambitious goal of Net Zero by 2050, heavy goods vehicles must reduce its carbon footprint by 45% within this decade and an astounding 90% by 2040 – largely by going electric. However, the growth of electric trucking is slower than anticipated. By 2030, it is projected that only 10% of Europe's truck fleet will be electric, with that number increasing to just 50% by 2040. This is where yDrive steps in to bridge the gap. By leveraging the untapped potential of trailers, we are committed to turning Europe's ambitious green transport agenda into a reality.
A recent simulation study conducted by the prestigious Dutch research institute TNO has revealed the remarkable potential of our technology. A tri-axle trailer equipped with our electric drivetrain can save up to 40% on fuel consumption during urban and regional delivery. Currently, more than 30% of Europe's three million trailer fleet qualify for our revolutionary technology.
Imagine the positive impact if all eligible trailers were fitted with yDrive — approximately 2% of Europe's total CO2 emissions could be saved – all while reducing each vehicle’s total cost of usership!
We understand that one-size-does-not-fit-all. That's why our technology is built on a modular architecture with standardized building blocks, allowing for versatile customization. The system comprises a high-torque e-axle, a high-power battery pack, and a smart controller. Together, these building blocks create a powerful and efficient hybrid solution tailored to meet the specific needs of our customers' operations.
Our e-axle is a masterpiece that combines proven concepts from the truck and trailer industries, leveraging their existing economies of scale. The transversely mounted and integrated e-motor remains within the periphery of the trailer suspension, ensuring seamless integration into the trailer chassis. Here's a glimpse of its exceptional features:
- Compatibility with industry-standard brakes and air suspensions, allowing the other trailer axles to remain standard.
- Permanent magnet synchronous motor (PMSM) boasting 250 kW of peak power, maximizing brake energy harvesting.
- A single e-motor serves both brake regeneration and propulsion assistance, optimizing efficiency.
- Heavy-duty differential with two large diameter drive shafts delivers an impressive 15,000 Nm of torque to the wheels, providing maximum assistance during acceleration.
Energy storage is a vital aspect of the yDrive system. Our compact Renewable Energy Storage System (RESS) houses the battery pack, power electronics, and cooling system, all designed to perfection. We utilize the cutting-edge Toshiba LTO (Lithium Titanate Oxide) battery chemistry, ensuring unparalleled performance:
- Ultra-fast Charging and Discharging: Our LTO batteries easily reach charging and discharging rates exceeding 10C, far surpassing other lithium-ion chemistries that tend to max out at 2C. This allows us to repeatedly harvest the most brake energy in the shortest time.
- Unmatched Longevity: With over 20,000 cycles, our LTO battery outperforms the trailer's lifespan, offering potential reuse in a second life. Other lithium-ion chemistries typically last up to 3,000 cycles.
- Wide Operating Temperatures: With an impressive operating temperature range of -35°C to 55°C, our LTO batteries eliminate the need for complex cooling and heating systems.
- Safety First: LTO batteries are non-flammable and do not release smoke when damaged, ensuring a high level of safety.
- Fewer Rare Metals: By avoiding the use of nickel, manganese, and cobalt, our batteries reduce dependency on rare metals.
Harnessing the power of LTO technology, our relatively small 30 kWh battery pack is more than sufficient for urban and regional delivery. For applications with fewer brake events, we offer an optional onboard charger, transforming your "mild hybrid" into a full-fledged "plug-in hybrid" for maximum convenience.
The control unit serves as the brain of the yDrive system and is available in three versions to meet the specific needs of our customers:
- Basic Version: This version operates agnostic of the truck, utilizing its own set of vehicle sensors to measure positioning, speed, acceleration, force, and rotation. A smart algorithm defines the brake and traction strategy, enriched with data from the trailer's Electronic Braking System (EBS) using the standardized ISO-11992-2 communication protocol.
- Predictive Version: Literally looking to the road ahead, the predictive version utilizes additional vision sensors and over-the-air (OTA) traffic, weather, and map data to fine-tune its brake and traction strategy for enhanced efficiency.
- Advanced Version: Through a proprietary connection between the truck and trailer, the advanced version enables two-way communication, allowing for brake and traction blending. This advanced integration takes yDrive's efficiency to new heights, paving the way for unparalleled performance. By collaborating closely with truck manufacturers and industry partners, we are working towards establishing a standardized communication protocol.
At Econogy, we believe in the power of collaboration. We lead a consortium of six esteemed organizations committed to developing, building, and demonstrating an electric drivetrain for trailers. Joining forces with TNO, RAI Association, THT New Cool, V-tron and DLS-Drive Line Systems, we're driving the road freight industry toward a more sustainable future.
Our innovative yDrive system is co-funded by the Dutch Province of Flevoland and the DKTI-Transport regulation of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management.